Types of Benefits for Veterans

GI Bill, Active Duty, Selected Reserves, Survivors & Dependents, Chapter 31

Military veterans may be eligible to receive educational benefits from the Department of Veteran Services. Contact the Veteran Services staff at Pensacola State College to process all required paperwork to ensure all education benefits will be received in a timely manner.

Educational Benefits (www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/)

  • Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB) (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA) (Chapter 35)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31)

Tuition Assistance

Active duty or reserve service members wishing to use tuition assistance at Pensacola State College must have approval from their Education Service Officer, education counselor, or command. Once an approved payment authorization has been received, it must be submitted to the Cashier’s Office for processing and waiver application. Please call the Cashier’s Office at (850) 484-1782 with any questions.

For more information visit MilitaryOneSource.mil

VA Vocational Rehabilitation

VA Vocational Rehabilitation serves students with service-connected disabilities who are attending Pensacola State College. Department of Veterans Affairs pays for tuition, books, supplies, and other items necessary for attendance at Pensacola State College. The Vocational Rehabilitation Program is designed to assist veterans in finding suitable employment.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

Veterans FAQs

What VA educational benefits are available at Pensacola State College?

You may use Chapter 30(Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment), Chapter 35 ( Educational Assistance), Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill), Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve), or Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program) education benefits. See www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/

As a veteran, how do I obtain help preparing for college?

The Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) program can provide academic and other support services to assist you with preparing for college admission and attendance. The VUB office is located on the Pensacola Campus, Bldg. 6 Rm. 651. For more information 484-2068 or visit the Upward Bound site.

The Veteran Student Support Services program is part of a group of programs provided by the U.S. Department of Education to help students do well in college. This program provides tutoring/mentoring, money management assistance, college visits and cultural event field trips, academic advising & grants to eligible veteran students. Questions? Call 850-484-1971, visit Bldg. 6, Rm. 669 on the Pensacola campus or go to Veterans Student Support Services.

How do I apply for VA benefits?

  1. All chapters of VA education benefits must be applied for or updated at benefits.va.gov/gibill/ through the Vonapp application program.
  2. Ensure to save the confirmation number upon completion.
  3. Call, email or stop by the Veteran’s Services Office with your confirmation number to get started.

May I use my Chapter 31, VA vocational and rehabilitation and employee benefits?

Prior to registering for any classes, you must make sure that your VA VR&E counselor has provided the required documents to Pensacola State College’s Veteran Services office. After the required documents are received, verified, and processed, you will be permitted to charge tuition, fees, books, and supplies against your eligible benefits.

I'm eligible for VA benefits. How do I obtain a deferment of tuition and fees?

Florida law allows Pensacola State College to issue a deferment (postponement) of tuition and fees once each academic year for Chapter 30, 35, & 1606 VA students and once per semester for Chapter 33 VA students. You may apply for the deferment online through Spyglass or through the Veteran Services/Financial Aid office on any campus. The deferment must be repaid regardless of the status of your VA benefits.

Where can I find more VA information?